This is your chance to explore UCC polity as it is being experienced and worked out!
With General Synod 2017 as both an occasion for and subject of our study, we will examine the history, theology, structures, and practice of ministry in today’s United Church of Christ.
What makes this denomination distinctive and innovative, as well as rooted in tradition?
How can leaders “make the case” for the UCC as a vital voice within contemporary progressive Christianity?
We will deal with these questions and many more in our week of intensive study and shared experience.
Registration deadline has been extended until FRIDAY, JUNE 9
Course Dates: Wednesday, June 28 through Wednesday, July 5
YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO ENROLL IF YOU ARE:
- a seminarian or seminary graduate seeking ordination
- clergy seeking or considering ministerial standing in the UCC through privilege of call
- clergy seeking dual standing whilst serving in a federated or union setting, or a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) pastor anticipating ministry in a UCC congregation
- a person who has been encouraged to take a polity course by your Church & Ministry Committee as part of an alternative route to ordination, or for other reasons such as commissioning
- a pastor or layperson who wants to refresh your knowledge of today's UCC
REGISTRATION DEADLINE - EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, JUNE 9
COURSE TITLE: United Church of Christ History, Theology & Polity (CH253)
COURSE INSTRUCTORS: Dr. Lee Barrett and Dr. Carolyne Call
COURSE LOCATION: TBA within walking distance of the Baltimore Convention Center
COURSE DATES: This course is offered during UCC 2017 General Synod, Baltimore Convention Center
|DAY||SESSION 1||SESSION 2|
|Wednesday, 6/28||2:00-5:00 pm||6:30-8:30 pm|
|Thursday, 6/29||9:00-Noon||2:00-5:00 pm|
|Friday, 6/30||9:00-Noon||2:00-4:00 pm|
|Saturday, 7/1 (approx. 4 hours)||TBD|
|Sunday, 7/2 (approx. 4 hours)||TBD|
|Monday, 7/3 (approx. 4 hours)||TBD|
|Tuesday, 7/4 (approx. 4 hours)||TBD|
TBD: Class times from 7/1 - 7/4 will depend on Synod schedule and planned events for Members in Discernment with specific times to be negotiated with participants after the course begins.
GENERAL SYNOD REGISTRATION
$ 150 Registration Fee - all applicants
$ 700 Course fee if taken for a Certificate of Completion
$ 2,025 Course fee if taken for academic credit
LETTER OF REFERENCE
A letter of reference is required for all applicants. You are responsible for making sure that your reference letter reaches us by the JUNE 9 deadline.
If you are taking the course for academic credit, the letter should come to us from your Academic Dean or Registrar certifying that you are a student in good standing in an ATS-approved degree program.
If you are taking the course for a Certificate of Completion, the letter should come to us from your denominational / judicatory representative confirming your good standing.
The letter should come to us directly from person writing the reference. Ask the person providing your reference to send a letter by JUNE 9 to Jamie Beth Schindler by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Jamie Beth Schindler
Lancaster Theological Seminary
555 West James St.
Lancaster PA 17603
Books / materials are required for this course. You are required to buy the materials in advance and have them in hand in time for the course. You are responsible for the timely arrival of all materials. To buy books, see the BOOKS section below.
Your application will be considered only when all required items have been completed and received by the JUNE 9 deadline including your letter of reference. You are responsbile for making sure that the person submitting your reference letter does so by the application deadline JUNE 9.
- You may enroll as a seminary credit-earning graduate student for academic credit
- You may enroll as a non-credit Certificate of Completion student
Non-credit participants seeking simply to refresh their knowledge of the UCC without completing assignments must receive prior permission from the instructors.
TO RECEIVE ACADEMIC CREDIT, YOU MUST:
- be an enrolled student in a master's-level theology degree program
- complete the application by JUNE 9
- have one reference letter submitted from the Academic Dean or Registrar confirming your enrollment and good standing in an ATS-approved degree program by JUNE 9
- pay $2,175 ($150 to register, $2,025 for course)
Upon completion of work, graduate students will receive a grade.
NOTE: Students who are NOT ENROLLED in a masters-level theology program are not eligible to take the course for academic credit.
TO RECEIVE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION, YOU MUST:
- complete the application by JUNE 9
- have one reference letter submitted from your denominational / judicatory representative confirming good standing by JUNE 9
- pay $850 ($150 to register, $700 for course)
Upon satisfactory completion of work, non-credit certificate students will receive a "Certificate of Completion" by mail.
Books are available to buy through Lancaster Seminary's online bookstore MBS Direct.
Order early. You are responsible for having all course materials in time for the start of class.
To buy your books:
- click the link to MBS Direct
- look for Summer Course CH253
- select the required books
Registration questions and general queries:
Contact Jamie Beth Schindler, Faculty Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org, (717) 290-8750
Dr. Lee Barrett - LBarrett@lancasterseminary.edu
Dr. Carolyne Call - CCall@lancasterseminary.edu
We strongly encourage you to explore the possibility of financial aid from your home church, association, Conference or the national setting of the UCC if you are a member-in-discernment.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS EXTENDED TO JUNE 9