Employers: to submit employment opportunities that you would like us to post here, please email the job descriptions to Matthew Hanna in the Development Office: email@example.com. Job listings will be deleted after 3 months.
Job seekers: to apply for jobs listed here, please follow the instructions in the job description.
Director of Christian Education, Grove United Methodist Church, West Chester, PA
Grove UMC, West Chester, PA is seeking a qualified part time (approx. 20 hrs/wk) Director of Christian Education to implement and maintain an educational ministry that aligns with the Grove vision by encouraging the spiritual formation and development of persons of all ages on Sunday mornings and throughout the week. The ministry shall focus on nurturing, educating, and discipling those who are part of the Grove family, and providing entry into the life of Grove Church for those who are not. The Director will spend time developing relationships with children and their families to continually evaluate the needs of the education ministry.
- A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with Him and the commitment to maintain an authentic and growing walk with Jesus Christ.
- Commitment to Christian values, moral conduct and to the mission and vision of Grove Christian education.
- Demonstrated excellence in Christian education and experience growing an effective Christian education ministry.
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in education or similar field is preferred.
- Enthusiasm for teaching along with a desire to further the spiritual development of youth and adults.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including use of the computer and social media.
- An organized and creative self-starter who is a team player with a positive attitude.
- Skilled in planning and managing budgets.
- Strong interpersonal skill with ability to listen.
- Openness to working with persons of all ages, genders, families, sexual orientation, social and economic class, races, ethnic groups, and differing theological positions in a non-judgmental and loving way.
A. The Director of Christian Education is responsible for administering, providing support, and recruiting volunteers for all educational ministries from nursery through adult on Sunday mornings and throughout the week. This includes:
- Developing and implementing an effective Christian education model using and/or establishing appropriate curriculum in support of the Christian education model.
- Working on a regular basis with education volunteers and staff.
- Coordination and recruitment of teachers, facilitators, helpers, support team, and volunteers to support the educational ministries of Grove UMC.
- Initiating training classes for volunteers as needed.
- Working with Adult, Family and Children’s Coordinators, and the Director of Youth and Young Adults to develop educational programming.
- Providing nurture, support and appreciation of teachers and volunteers and acting as a resource to support all aspects of the educational program.
- Maintaining current criminal & child abuse background checks for volunteers and staff.
B. The Director of Christian Education shall be an advocate for Christian Education by:
- Regularly reporting the accomplishments, needs, and opportunities associated with Grove’s educational ministries to the lead pastor and Program Team.
- Communicating regularly with the lead pastor regarding needs and problems of individuals or families, program needs and opportunities, and decisions made regarding the program or ministry of the church.
- Communicating with members and prospective members of the church about educational programs, needs and opportunities.
- Working in conjunction with the Communications Manager to plan and publicize activities and programs to support existing education ministries of Grove UMC to enhance and expand upon these ministries.
- Evaluating the educational ministry and facilities on a regular basis by setting annual goals that are in line with Grove’s vision and evaluating how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
- Coordinating and assisting with preparation of Vacation Bible School, summer programs, the annual Christmas pageant, family Christmas Eve worship, trunk or treat, and community Easter egg hunt.
- Communicating and cooperating with the Director, Grove Preschool.
- Encouraging application of Biblical lessons by coordinating outreach and service projects with appropriate members of the Program Team.
- Supervising the ordering and maintenance of curriculum, supplies, resource materials, and audio visuals.
- Enrolling in annual continuing education that corresponds with the needs of the parish with approval of the lead pastor.
To implement and maintain an educational ministry for Grove United Methodist Church that aligns with the Grove vision by encouraging the spiritual formation and development of persons of all ages on Sunday mornings and throughout the week. The ministry shall focus on nurturing, educating, and discipling those who are part of the Grove family, and providing entry into the life of Grove Church for those who are not. To spend time developing relationships with children and their families to continually evaluate the needs of the education ministry.
This position shall be an example of dynamic leadership for a team of volunteers who can relate to persons of all ages and support Sunday School and other spiritual formation activities. The person in this position shall work closely with the pastor(s) to develop and execute a program that includes Christian education advancement for participants of all ages and maintains high visibility with Sunday School and other educational endeavors while participating in worship services at the direction of the pastor(s), i.e., Children’s message.
The degree to which the job is accomplished will be reviewed by the lead pastor, SPRC and ProgramTeam, as deemed necessary.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and any references to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is targeted to start in the Feb/March 2018 timeframe.