Employers: to submit employment opportunities that you would like us to post here, please email the job descriptions to Matthew Hanna in the Development Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Job listings will be deleted after 3 months.
Job seekers: to apply for jobs listed here, please follow the instructions in the job description.
Director of Christian Education, Sojourners UCC, Charlottesville, VA
Do you like working with kids who are inquisitive about God and precocious about the world? At Sojourners United Church of Christ, our kids are waiting for a leader to nurture them as they grow in faith as Christians. We invite you to be a part of our story.
Qualifications—the ideal candidate will possess:
- A faith that celebrates diversity, including LGBTQ+ and the diversity of spiritual needs
- An understanding of child development and a passion for working with youth
- Experience in leadership, starting new programs, or working with children or families
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to work with technology and social media
- A desire to work collaboratively with the Pastor, the Christian Education Ministry, and the families of Sojourners UCC
- Develop and oversee weekly Sunday School program for children Kindergarten through 8th grade (in keeping with safe church guidelines)
- Recruit, schedule, train, and support congregation volunteers as Sunday School teachers
- Develop additional family and youth programming
- Work with the Pastor on the Confirmation process for Youth
- Attend weekly staff meetings and be supervised by the Pastor
- Promote the education program in the congregation and communicate with families and newcomers
- Envision future growth in the Christian education program
Sojourners UCC is an eclectic, open and affirming congregation in Charlottesville, Virginia. We are committed to social justice, community building, and walking in the way of Jesus by including all people in our life of worship and celebration, nurture and growth, love and service. We have a lively and growing congregation and are seeking to create a robust program for our children and youth. In that spirit, we are seeking a part-time (20 hours per week) Director of Christian Education to create and coordinate our Sunday School and youth programs.
Start Date: Spring 2018
Time Requirements: 20 hours/week (including Sunday mornings, with lots of flexibility during the week) for 43 weeks of the year (approximately August through May)
Compensation: $17,200 annual salary
Send resumes to: Sojourners.ChristianEd@gmail.com
For additional information, please visit: www.sojourners-ucc.org
Sojourners United Church of Christ is located at 1017 Elliott Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22902