Employers: to submit employment opportunities that you would like us to post here, please email the job descriptions to Matthew Hanna in the Development Office: email@example.com. Job listings will be deleted after 3 months.
Job seekers: to apply for jobs listed here, please follow the instructions in the job description.
Part-Time Youth Minister, Union Congregational Church, Montclair, NJ
Union Congregational Church, United Church of Christ in Montclair, New Jersey is seeking a part-time Youth Minister for the 2018-2019 program year.
Union seeks an individual who has sensed a call from God to Youth MInistry. The right individual will care deeply about both the ways in which teens are to be valued in the life of the church while also understanding Congregational polity and procedures. The best candidate will offer dynamic programming for youth that helps our teenagers grow spiritually while also helping them with the many stresses they face in a community like Montclair; the pressures to get into the "right" college while also engaging in a variety of extra-curiicular activities can be an enormous burden for many of our young people. Understanding the culture of the broader community will be an asset for the right candidate.
There is both a middle and high-school youth group at Union and care for both of these groups will be expected. Collaboration with the Senior Minister, lay leaders, youth parents, and other staff is necessary.
This position is a sixteen hour/week position that shall run from September 1, 2018 until July 31, 2019. The primary tasks shall be:
- To lead all youth programming (mid-week gatherings, the summer trip, Sunday evening or Friday evening gatherings except for Confirmation activities.) Attendance at these programming events is required for this role.
- To execute the tasks related to two-three youth retreats per program year. Attendance at all youth retreats is required for this role.
- To perform logistical tasks related to youth retreats and the summer trip (for example, renting vans, booking rooms).
- To lead fundraising, if necessary, for the summer trip (for example, a pancake breakfast or a car wash).
- To offer basic pastoral counseling services to youth, as needed, and determine if referrals to full-time professional counselors are required.
- To participate in and moderate on-line forums for youth communications to ensure healthy boundaries and mutual respect among all participants.
The position reports directly to the Senior Minister and is classified as an occasional part-time employee in the Union Congregational Church Personnel Policy Manual. An understanding of and a general agreement with, the polity of the United Church of Christ is necessary.
Participation in weekly Tuesday morning staff meetings is strongly encouraged and regular check-in meetings with the Senior Minister are required.
While not mandatory, participation in the September Leadership Council meeting is encouraged as is regular attendance of Sunday worship services.
All Trust with Care materials shall be received and signed, CPR/First-Aid training is mandatory, and UCC Boundary Training certification is preferred along with a clear competency for understanding personal and professional boundaries.
Union is 500 member UCC congregation in the suburbs of New York with many committed members who are engaged in both the leadership of the congregation and serving the world. There is something at Union for most people; children’s and family activities, study groups, vital worship, outreach events, educational opportunities, and a vibrant youth ministry that offers weekly gatherings, retreats, and a summer trip.
All applicants should submit a resume and a letter of interest to the Senior Minister, Rev. David Shaw, in Word or as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience.
Compensation for the role is $25/hour.