Employers: to submit employment opportunities that you would like us to post here, please email the job descriptions to Matthew Hanna in the Development Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Job listings will be deleted after 3 months.
Job seekers: to apply for jobs listed here, please follow the instructions in the job description.
Senior Minister, First Congregational Church of Royal Oak, MI
The members of First Congregational Church of Royal Oak are searching for a full-time Senior Minister who will join us on a journey to discover the meaning of the Gospel as it relates to our daily lives. This person may not have all the answers to life’s theological, philosophical and moral questions, but knows the important questions to ask. We seek an individual of high character and integrity, equipped to help lead in ministry, Christian education, community outreach, and pastoral care programs that embrace shared values of faith, freedom and fellowship.
- College and seminary degree or the equivalent (further graduate study a plus) and is ordained.
- Personal and character attributes of honesty, trustfulness, integrity, kindness, and compassion for others.
- Organizes, coordinates and conducts the worship services of the Church.
- Presents well-organized and inspiring sermons that are relevant and meaningfully connect to the congregation.
- Administers and conducts baptisms, communion, weddings, funerals and the reception of new members.
- Provides supportive pastoral care.
- Offers spiritual guidance to those who are faced with personal difficulties.
- Helps create interest in our church and promotes new membership.
- Provides effective direction to the leaders of youth programs.
- Works with assigned boards on all aspects of Christian education.
- Conducts covenant classes for the youth and coordinates new membership classes.
- Supports Christian outreach by encouraging all members of the congregation to participate in programs and activities addressing social concerns in the local community and beyond.
- Meets regularly with the Deacons, the Church Council, and all other lay leaders of FCC, to provide strong, creative leadership and direction.
- Supervises and engages in team building of the staff, endeavoring to maintain a positive attitude and a harmonious relationship among all employees.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- We offer a competitive salary and benefit package, commensurate with level of education and experience.
- Assistance with moving expenses provided.
CHURCH & CONGREGATION PROFILE
- As a free church, we begin with and build upon the Bible, but trust the informed conscience of the individual to determine the way he or she will understand and implement Christ’s command to love and serve God and neighbor.
- We adhere to democratic principles of decision-making, operating under established bylaws. The more important issues are brought before the congregation for discernment and vote.
- Our congregation recognizes the importance of fellowship on all levels, within our own church as well as in outreach to others in the local community.
- In addition to the Minister position, paid staff includes a full-time Minister of Music and part-time Administrative Assistant, Director of Family Ministries, and Adult Bell Choir Director.
- We enjoy strong and well-established programs in the areas of music (offering a blended approach for worship services), youth education (employing the Workshop Rotation Model for K-8 and the Group curriculum for preschoolers), and Christian outreach (with local, national and international partners).
- We have 330 members; average attendance for our weekly service is around 110 adults and 20 children in Sunday school.
- Annual operating budget is approximately $270,000; current endowment of $650,000.
- Additional information about our church can be found on our website: www.fccro.org.
- Although Royal Oak is a fairly large suburb (population 57, 236), it has a small town character, where a Memorial Day parade feels like a Norman Rockwell painting, and a trip to the Farmer's Market offers the chance to connect with old friends.
- Rated one of the Ten Best Places to Raise a Family in Michigan, we enjoy an excellent school system, numerous city parks, an active downtown and a great public library.
- At the same time, we benefit by being located in the Detroit metropolitan area with several outstanding museums (the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Henry Ford, to name two), the world class Detroit Symphony Orchestra, vibrant theater, and sports of all kinds (the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, and Pistons are our professional teams).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to forward a cover letter and resume to our Search Committee at the following e-mail address: FCCROSearch@gmail.com.