Employers: to submit employment opportunities that you would like us to post here, please email the job descriptions to Matthew Hanna in the Development Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. Job listings will be deleted after 3 months.
Job seekers: to apply for jobs listed here, please follow the instructions in the job description.
Volunteer Hostess/Host, Casa del Sol Retreat House, Abiquiu, NM
Casa del Sol is a retreat house located two miles from the main campus at Ghost Ranch in a gated, restricted area of the high desert and is dedicated to deep spiritual contemplation. Through a rhythm of daily prayer, solitude, contemplative work, group study sessions and rest, Casa del Sol is a place of quiet, beauty and pervasive spirit. Created and founded in 2006 by a group of dedicated donors and friends, Casa has been the destination for hundreds of persons seeking respite, sabbatical, healing, and restoration before returning again to family, congregation, and service in the world beyond. The Host/Hostess at Casa del Sol is a volunteer position, and is responsible for the hospitality, logistics, and maintaining the ethos of the retreat house. The host/hostess resides in a comfortable, private Hermitage adjacent to the main retreat house and takes meals in the dining hall with other Ghost Ranch guests and staff on the Ranch campus.
Skills and Qualifications:
- An innate sense of Christian hospitality, and a desire to practice it in all endeavors
- Good communication skills to impart both practical detail and bigger picture vision
- Basic computer, phone, and office skills including record keeping and careful tracking of data
- Flexible in adapting and adding other duties as they arise
- Education in theology and/or spiritual formation helpful but not required
- Work or participant experience in a Retreat House setting is extremely helpful
- Understanding and participation in the work of the Church universal, and specifically Protestant spirituality
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Prepare greeting, care for, and warm presence to guests of Casa del Sol
- Deliver to guests on their first evening or day of arrival, an orientation of Ghost Ranch area and landscape, safety information, ecological care concerns at Casa del Sol, and a brief introduction of the Casa del Sol liturgical, devotional, and study resources available to them while they are in residence.
- Regularly update “Spiritual Life Services” regarding day-to-day environment and ethos at Casa del Sol and any guest concerns that arise.
- Communicate with “Group and Program Departments” and maintain a current calendar of arrivals and departures of visitors/courses/groups at Casa del Sol. Keep records of same.
Stewardship of Facility:
- Attend to regular light maintenance and food service duties at the Retreat House, including tidying-up the gathering room and kitchen every night, running the dishwasher, and putting away all food.
- When three (3) rooms or fewer are occupied, the host will clean bathrooms, dust, mop floors and prepare the rooms for the next guests. Guests strip sheets from their own beds and remake them for the next guests, placing a note of hospitality and blessing on the pillow before leaving. This is part of the ritual of welcome at Casa del Sol. The host/hostess washes the sheets and towels at the on-site laundry and puts them away.
- When four (4) or more rooms are occupied, the Ghost Ranch housekeeping staff will do all cleaning.
- When four (4) or more rooms are occupied, the host/hostess drives the laundry to the Ghost Ranch Housekeeping Dept, picks up clean sheets and towels, and puts them in the cupboard for the incoming guests.
- The host/ess will communicate with the Ranch kitchen staff regarding food needs at Casa del Sol, primarily for continental breakfast and evening receptions. The host/ess will pick up the food from the kitchen and deliver it to Casa del Sol. Most classes and groups eat their lunch and dinner meals in the Ghost Ranch dining hall with other ranch guests.
- The host/ess oversees and attends to the stewardship of the outdoor area and the adjacent labyrinth.
- The host/ess will monitor maintenance needs/issues and communicate them to appropriate staff departments (maintenance, housekeeping, registration, front desk, etc.)
- Communicate and coordinate such requests through Spiritual Life Services
Liaison with Ranch Community
- Attend weekly Hospitality meetings and regular all-staff meetings called by HR Dept.
- Work with the Spiritual Life Services, Education and Marketing Departments to brainstorm new venues to promote CDS and its programs.
- Assist Spiritual Life Services with special projects upon request and when available
To request an application or for more information contact:
Ghost Ranch, Human Resources Director
(505) 685-1003 or Email: email@example.com
Don and Brenda Grauer
Ghost Ranch, Chaplains